Gå till innehåll
torsdag 28 mars 2024
loleks

Size of packing cord (fat cord) for Volvo Penta stuffing box/gland

Rekommendera Poster

Hi all,

I apologize for for the use of English, and hope that it wouldn't be a problem :-).

Some months ago, I became a proud owner of a Joda Tur 24 motor boat, which I bought from Sweden (and brought 3000km in lake Ohrid - Macedonia). Because I found out a small wound (a crack) in the keel section, I decided to remove my propeller shaft and the shaft tube, and accompanying parts in order to do a proper repair. One of these parts is also the packing box, for which I would like to change the packing cord (fat cord/rope), as I think it is more than 30 years old - so change it for good measure.

I believe that I have a classic Volvo Penta stuffing box, I believe part number 859013 (can also be seen here: https://www.marinexpress.se/artikel.php?kid=642-775-1150&sok=&id=6253). I am unable to find info to what size of a packing cord/fat cord is used in this packing box. My measurements are a bit inconsistent, as the packing cord has been deformed by years of use. I don't want to remove it altogether, because I have the feeling that it will disintegrate in my hands 🙂 - Something I don't want to do in case I don't find a replacement.

I believe it is a 8x8mm cord, but measurements show that it might be non-symmetrical, as there are 3 pieces (as per Volvo Penta's part replacement website - https://www.volvopenta.com/shop/530199/part-sections/54155417) and the measurements don't really add up...

Has anyone replaced the packing/fat cord in such a packing box/gland? If so, what is the size of the packing cord that you have used?

Thank you kindly!

photo_5974177888603322995_y.jpg

photo_5974177888603322994_y.jpg

photo_5974177888603322993_y.jpg

photo_5974177888603322992_y.jpg

Dela detta inlägg

Länk till inlägg
Dela på andra webbplatser

Hi. Try email https://marinepartseurope.com.

They respond quickly and most likely know which part you need. The seal was available in 30mm and 35mm. I'm guessing it refers to the diameter of the shaft. the same part was probably made for two different axles. But I saw that there were two 30mm and two 35mm so just as well to email. Good luck. (Google translate)

Dela detta inlägg

Länk till inlägg
34 minuter sedan skrev Cobalt233:

They respond quickly and most likely know which part you need. The seal was available in 30mm and 35mm. I'm guessing it refers to the diameter of the shaft. the same part was probably made for two different axles. But I saw that there were two 30mm and two 35mm so just as well to email. Good luck. (Google translate)

Vad är det för packning du pratar om? Grafitgarn är ca 7-8 millimeter grovt.

Dela detta inlägg

Länk till inlägg
1 timme sedan skrev Rascal:

Vad är det för packning du pratar om? Grafitgarn är ca 7-8 millimeter grovt.

Packning kanske var fel ord. Packbox. Som jag för stod det ville han ha info om nr 10 på bilden.

025404F8-46E9-4C25-BA1E-6984EBB8466B.png

Dela detta inlägg

Länk till inlägg
2 hours ago, Cobalt233 said:

Hi Cobalt233,

Thanks for the link! I will surely send them an e-mail, but I doubt that they will give me the dimension of the fat cord (as they sell volvo penta parts). The fat cord (packing) from Volvo Penta is terribly expensive, hence my question about the dimension so that I can source a more economical variant..

Where I live (in Holland), there are various dimensions of fat cords available (usually 5x5mm, 6x6mm8x8mm, 10x10mm - for example)

You are right that I'm asking about the dimension (width) of the fat cord rings, marked as "10" in your picture :-).

My propeller shaft is 30mm in diameter if that helps in any way.

Thanks for any info that can be provided!

Dela detta inlägg

Länk till inlägg
9 timmar sedan skrev Cobalt233:

Packning kanske var fel ord. Packbox. Som jag för stod det ville han ha info om nr 10 på bilden.

025404F8-46E9-4C25-BA1E-6984EBB8466B.png

Han har inte packboxar i sin tätning. Den tätas med grafitgarn eller talgfläta. Det är en form av "snöre" indränkt med grafit eller talg som läggs i 2-3 separata varv runt axeln.

Dela detta inlägg

Länk till inlägg

Hi Rascal,

You are completely right - there are tree pieces of yarn - which I call fat cord (as it is know here locally in Holland). I am asking about the size/dimension of this yarn/cord/tallow braid that I can put as a replacement to the old one.

Cheers,

Aleks

Dela detta inlägg

Länk till inlägg
1 timme sedan skrev loleks:

Hi Rascal,

You are completely right - there are tree pieces of yarn - which I call fat cord (as it is know here locally in Holland). I am asking about the size/dimension of this yarn/cord/tallow braid that I can put as a replacement to the old one.

Cheers,

Aleks

The original part from Volvo Penta for the 25 and 30 mm shaft is 7 mm thick. I am holding one in my hand just know. You can adjust it whit a little hammer if its tight when putting in the hole. Dont tighten to hard when mounting nr9! It might go warm.

Dela detta inlägg

Länk till inlägg

Hi Rascal,

Thank you very much! I will try to find a 7mm thick yarn/cord/fat rope (gosh, there are so many names for this!). Do you think that a 8mm one with couple of gentle hits for a small hammer can also work, or that would be too tight?

Yeah, I have gone through countless threads about tightening nr9... I will be as gentle as possible, and make any adjustments (if needed) when the engine is running and it is in the water - so I can feel if it gets too hot.

Thanks,
Aleks

Dela detta inlägg

Länk till inlägg
12 minuter sedan skrev loleks:

Hi Rascal,

Thank you very much! I will try to find a 7mm thick yarn/cord/fat rope (gosh, there are so many names for this!). Do you think that a 8mm one with couple of gentle hits for a small hammer can also work, or that would be too tight?

Yeah, I have gone through countless threads about tightening nr9... I will be as gentle as possible, and make any adjustments (if needed) when the engine is running and it is in the water - so I can feel if it gets too hot.

Thanks,
Aleks

I think it will be tight with 8mm. Try to find 7mm.

Dela detta inlägg

Länk till inlägg

Or would a 6mm cord be better suited? I'm asking, because 6mm and 8mm are very common here, 7mm not so much 😐

Dela detta inlägg

Länk till inlägg
1 timme sedan skrev loleks:

Or would a 6mm cord be better suited? I'm asking, because 6mm and 8mm are very common here, 7mm not so much 😐

Measure the difference between the inner diameter of the "Nut" were You put the cord, and the shaft diameter, an divide by two, and you get the size of the cord you need.  It is called " Talgfläta" in Swedish. . You will have to cut it yourself to the correct length. The easiest way is to put it one turn round the shaft and cut in an angle with a sharp knife. Make three rings with the joints in different positions round the shaft.

Dela detta inlägg

Länk till inlägg
2 timmar sedan skrev loleks:

I should take the 8mm and the hammer!

Dela detta inlägg

Länk till inlägg

Thanks for all the feedback!

I got my 8mm cord, and prepared the hammer 😁! I will post back with the results in a weeks time :-).

Cheers!

• Gilla 1

Dela detta inlägg

Länk till inlägg

Skapa ett konto eller logga in för att kommentera

Du måste vara medlem för att kunna kommentera

Skapa ett konto

Skapa ett konto på maringuiden.se. Det är lätt!

Registrera ett nytt konto

Logga in

Medlem på maringuiden.se? Logga in här.

Logga in nu

• Skapa nytt...