Gå till innehåll
torsdag 28 mars 2024
eeladvised

What, if anything, does "urnariggad" mean?

Fråga

Hello all!

I encountered the word "urnariggad" in Sven Hedin's book about his expedition in Central Asia around 1900, "Asien - tusen mil på okända vägar" (vol. 1, page 475).  Here is the word in context:

Sedan däckades skutan med skinn, spändt som en trumma; en mast, som kunde tagas af, hade sin plats i klykor i fören och båten blef urnariggad.

For more context I attached a picture of the entire page (for more adjacent pages, see this imgur gallery).  

I can't find "urnariggad" in any dictionary and with some googling I couldn't find anyone else using this word, so I'm wondering what it means or if it's perhaps a misprint.  Thanks in advance for any help.

P.S.  The English edition of that book translates the quoted passage as: "Then we covered her with skins stretched as taut as a drum. A mast, which could be put up and taken down at pleasure, was fixed in crutches in the fore part of the boat, and she was rigged with a fore and aft sail." (source: https://archive.org/details/centralasiatibet01hedi/page/413/mode/1up?view=theater)

0475.jpg

Dela detta inlägg

Länk till inlägg
Dela på andra webbplatser

4 svar till denna fråga

Rekommendera Poster

Unarigg är det samma som kattrigg..

d.v.s. mast med ett bomsegel helt utan försegel.

• Tack 1

Dela detta inlägg

Länk till inlägg
Postad (redigerade)

I think signature "Snoy" has nailed it.

Encyclopedia "Nordisk Familjebok" (1912) gives unarigg as synonym to kattrigg (cat rig in English).

In other words: a misprint.

Edit: Some details on the origins of the term una here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catboat

Redigerad av speljakt
  • Tack 1

Dela detta inlägg

Länk till inlägg

dono, rigged as a "pott", or misspelled for unriggable

Dela detta inlägg

Länk till inlägg

Thank you all, this is very interesting!  Some googling suggests that the term "una-rigged" is sometimes also used in English.

Dela detta inlägg

Länk till inlägg

Skapa ett konto eller logga in för att kommentera

Du måste vara medlem för att kunna kommentera

Skapa ett konto

Skapa ett konto på maringuiden.se. Det är lätt!

Registrera ett nytt konto

Logga in

Medlem på maringuiden.se? Logga in här.

Logga in nu

• Skapa nytt...